Wednesday, August 18, 2010

winter update

The last couple of weeks have seen typical August weather - cold and windy! The nights have been close to freezing and I suspect the odd frost has sneaked in unexpectedly. Last week, a ferocious wind whipped through the patch and bent back my peas! They are purple-podded peas and they had just go to the top of the frame and started to flower - a very pretty flower too. Now I have my fingers crossed that they will survive the beating. That's life in the patch!


(ref: purplepoddedpeas.blogspot.com)

The comfrey is hibernating, the brocs and cabbages are powering along - not a white moth insight, so they are blemish free. The garlic and leeks are plodding along - they need to be harvested befor the wet season starts. There is new greowh on the chillies. I took a risk and pruned the bushes back hard at the end of last summer, now they seem to have survived the winter and are getting a new lease of life.

I am loathe to do any kind of spring planting until there is no longer the chance of a frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment