Friday, August 27, 2010

multi coloured carrots

Carrots have not always been only orange. They come in a variety of colours, but orange become the popular choice in Europe, particularly Holland, in commemoration of the Royal House of Orange (the Dutch Royal family). Now, you can grow them in all kinds of colours - as I do - and brighten up all your vege stews!

I have had no problem growing the Purple King variety or the mixed colour variety. I grow from seed and and don't even thin them out as they grow. I pull them up when they are still  young as I don't really like the thick vibrator-looking  numbers you buy in the shops. I also like the feathery tops of carrots - they add a textural dimension to the garden.
(ref: recipegirl.com)

Oh, they also grow all year round here. I have had success through the wet summer season and the dry winter season... they will become a staple crop in the patch

No comments:

Post a Comment