Saturday, August 14, 2010

potatoes

I harvested my first crop of potatoes today and man, was I pleasantly suprised. I am always amazed at root crops - you just don't see any action and then... pow!


(ref: chiotsrun.com)
I bought some certified organic sebago and planted them in an old coffee sack. I used potting mix and organic pellitsed fertiliser. I allowed the green stalks to appear once and covered them over to maximise the crop. Fortnightly watering of seaweed and 'Bob's your uncle'! I was suprised to see that the potatoes were not attached to anything, they were just sitting there in the dirt. I was also amused to see that the term used for digging around looking for potatoes is.... bandicooting..... aaarrgghhh.....

Tonight's menu included... oven roasted potatoes with rosemary and sea salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment