Saturday, July 24, 2010

vigorous growth

The first season was particularly spectacular. With no clear idea of what we wanted to do long term, we simply planted what we liked to eat and what we thought looked nice. The result was a cottage garden mix of herbs, flowers and vegetables. Within weeks, the beds were bursting at their seems and we realised we would have to expand our site.


So in here we had: pineapple sage, comfrey, parsley, wormwood. Obvioulsy, all this went nuts living on a diet of solid chicken poop! The pineapple sage has gone and the wormwood too (although, I confess that I may have prematiurely removed it instead of pruning it hard), but the comfrey and parsely are still thriving. They seem to love being next to each other, so there they will stay.



Incredibly, I planted a pumpkin in the middle of all this. Obviously, I soon learned how much room a pumpkin needed. If you look closely, you may see that the tomatoes are looking a bit crazed... I am scratching my head in puzzlement. I am yet to master the art of growing tomatoes. Either it is the climate here, or I just don't have it in me to grow a consistent crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment